Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Stimpmeter

I am posting this video today in regards to the measurement of the greens for both consistency and green speed.  I use a tool, which is called a Stimpmeter to take these measurements.  For me, the most important use of the tool is to make sure the greens are putting consistently throughout the golf course,  in doing so the speed of the green is also determined. I have a process that I use when measuring the greens so that it is the same from day in and day out and I done it this way for as long as I can remember.  There are so many environmental and mechanical  factors that are in play on a daily basis thase all effect the speed of the greens.  Humidity, soil moisture, lack of humidity and maintenance practices just to name a few have some factor on speed as well as consistency from one day to the next.  We do our best to keep some of the factors in check, but a prefect example was last weekend  The turf really started to grow which really slowed down the speed.  I will continue to do my best to keep the greens consistent, smooth, and at or near a ball roll of 11 feet for daily play.  Typically, the first part of the week the greens are slower then Friday through Sunday which all relates back to the maintenance part of the factors that effect the speed of the greens.

 

Total Pageviews

Followers