Thursday, August 1, 2013

Update 8/1

August already hard to believe.  What a great week on the golf course.  I will go out on a limb a say that I do not think I have ever seen the course in such good shape.  Everything has really come together, the greens staff really has stepped up their game this year and they are working like a seasoned team. I am going to treat the staff with a cook out after work tomorrow, they have been working very hard to prepare the course for the club championship.

We have almost completed edging all the bunkers on the course. There is nothing like a freshly edged bunker to frame the golf hole.  We are light on sand in a few bunkers mainly from the rain events washing silt into the bunkers this year.  We had to remove a lot of the contaminated sand.  We will be working on adding new sand later this fall and into the start of next year.

Over the next few weeks we will start to work on a few more projects around the golf course.  First off I will be core aerating the approaches and tees this month.  We will work our way around the course as we have in the past by completing a few holes a day until we are finished.  I will also continue to topdress both greens and approaches much more regularly until the late fall.  I have lowered all groomers on the greens and fairways over this week to help with some of the puffiness, I am sure that you have noticed a difference already.  With the mild weather I can be a little more aggressive with some cultural practices and this will help remove some excess organic matter.  Once we have more consistent mild weather I will veritcut the fairways, tee and approaches.  I will also overseed the edges of the fairways that we have reclaimed as rough this year with a blend of tall fescue and Kentucky bluegrass. Mid to late August is the best time to seed, we should have a nice stand of turf by next spring.





Total Pageviews

Followers