|July 26 2016|
Looking back, Our first mowing of the greens was on March 10 this year and we opened for play on the 28th. April started off pretty cold and ended with heavy rain. July was very warm humid and lot of rain and flooding on the golf course. July was a very tough month for my staff with multiple rain events. We had a lot of cleanup including pumping bunkers and repairing the bunkers. We had another stretch in mid august and early september that it seemed to rain every other day. We ended the golf season with a great record breaking November. Looking back it was a tough season but our staff did a great job getting the course back in shape quickly. I feel we had very quality playing surfaces even with Mother Nature against us. We have a dedicated seasonal staff that work tirelessly this year to provide these great condition and I am very thankful for everyone.
Our fescue program here at Hawks is doing well. We have yet to remove all undesirable grasses and weeds but every year we are getting closer. This year I experimented with roundup and a growth regulator in a few fairly dense stands of turf. The results were promising, I plan on expanding on this next season.
Most of the construction on the front nine this fall has been completed. There are a few projects that we did not finish and will complete in the early spring. November had some great dry weather for us to tackle a lot of small projects on the front nine. We leveled all the sprinklers heads around every green and replaced some sod around the greens that had creeping bentgrass containment with new bluegrass sod. Worked on squaring off a few tees and adding a little more tee space on 13 gold. We never are able to complete everything on the list but we made a pretty good dent in it. I also concentrated on our soil profile issues in the putting greens this November. We continue to hold more soil moisture than desired. We have been addressing this by solid tine aerification and filling the holes using a granular sand to open up more pore space. We will continue to evaluate our progress in the spring. After thanksgiving, we core aerated around every green and all walk ons to the tees. We solid tined all roughs on the course. I am encouraged by our progress in the health of the roughs from doing this process for the last few years.
In addition to our solid tine program on the greens we did a process called drill and fill to a few trouble spot on 1,5,11 greens. This is a very time consuming task that will be worth the effort in these areas next year. We used a 15 inch long drill bit and backfilled each hole with sand. This will allow for much improved drainage.
|The first load of our new sand going in|
I would like to thank all of our members for a great golf season and look forward to seeing everyone soon