Monday, July 20, 2009

Geese

Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918

Following close on the heels of the Lacey Act and the Weeks-McLean Law, the framers of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act were determined to put an end to the commercial trade in birds and their feathers that, by the early years of the 20th century, had wreaked havoc on the populations of many native bird species.

The Migratory Bird Treaty Act decreed that all migratory birds and their parts (including eggs, nests, and feathers) were fully protected.

The Migratory Bird Treaty Act is the domestic law that affirms, or implements, the United States' commitment to four international conventions (with Canada, Japan, Mexico, and Russia) for the protection of a shared migratory bird resource. Each of the conventions protect selected species of birds that are common to both countries (i.e., they occur in both countries at some point during their annual life cycle). A List of Migratory Birds protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty Act is available.

For those desiring additional information on the Migratory Bird Treaty Act, a detailed synopsis is available.


I understand that you may not like what is happening around number 9 green area lately with the geese. I have been very diligent with trying to keep the putting green clean of the goose poop but there may be times that there may be some on the green when you are playing. My apologize for this, I do not know were these geese came from since my two dogs were scouting the area earlier this year. One day they just showed up. The problem is that I can not under the migratory law harm these geese at this time. The goslings can not fly, what I can do is modify their habitat and I did this by erecting a fence along the number 9 pond side to try to keep the geese away from 9 and move them over to the fescue in front of 1. I do not know if this will work. I also have a call into the DNR to see if there are any other options available to us at this time. Once again, I am sorry for any inconvenience they have been.

Total Pageviews

Followers