Friday, November 19, 2010

Update

What a great week we had.  All the snow mold fungicides have been applied.  I believe we applied our protection at the prefect time.  I also applied an organic based fertilizer to the greens and  top dressed all the greens with a light coating of sand.  The sand will not be broomed  it will work down into the canopy.  I feel that we did all we could do to prepare the golf course for winter.  Everything that I have done since the beginning of September has been to give the turf the upper hand in winter survival.  Now all we have to do is hope that Mother nature will be kind to the golf course.  .

This week we also core aerated all the drains on the golf course.  I have noticed some troubling thatch in the fairways.  I have not core aerated the fairway in 10 years instead we have use the spiker to open up some airways.  We have been able to manage the organic matter in the fairways very well by not over applying nutrients to promote excess growth but for some reason this year we have really increased the amount of thatch  in the fairways.  Most likely the humid, wet, hot weather.  I believe its almost to the point of being out of control.  We may start to experience turf decline in the fairway if we do not address this issue next year and be fairly aggressive with it. 

We have completed the realignment of the black tee on 7.  We also took this time to replace all the sod in the walk on to the tee.   The projects that we have completed this fall really look great.  I hope that the weather holds for a few more weeks, at least remain above freezing.  this way we can get outside and contain to work on these improvements to the golf course. 






I would like to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving.  I am sure thankful to work for such great team and really enjoy taking care of Hawks Landing for the members


Neil

Total Pageviews

Followers