Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Update 7/15/14

Finally have some time that does not include pushing bunkers after rains and we are taking full advantage of this great weather to work on some detail projects.

We started to edge a few green side bunkers, add sand to bunkers and worked on adding mulch around some trees all in the last 2 days.  We also topdressed all the greens and approaches yesterday.  Topdressing is very important especially in the weather pattern we have been stuck in lately.  The turf grows very rapidly in the warm humid weather we have been having  and produces a lot of organic matter. This should be matched with sand to help dilute the organic matter. Topdressing helps keep the surface firm and help reducing excess thatch development.  This can be seen and felt in the softness of the tees especially the maroon and white tees.  Ideally, we would also topdress the tees but it is not in the budget to do so, and is also the main reason we will core aerate the tees in the spring and early fall.  My plans will be to topdress next week again on Monday and then we may move to applications every 2 weeks for the rest of the summer. Today, the greens really felt good and are very smooth.   The rough has been mowed up to 3 times per week over the last few weeks.  I know that we have had some excess clippings laying around, we have been doing our best to keep things as tidy as possible.

I sure hope that you are enjoying this polar vortex as much as the turf is.  The reduce stress on the turf is better for me that is for sure.

Saturday, July 5, 2014

golf course update 7/3/14

It has been a long 2 weeks since my last post.  The rain seems to come just as we get everything back in shape then we have to start all over again.  At least it held off enough for us to prep for the Mens Invitational.  The staff put in some extra hours last week making sure that the course was in great shape for everyone.

  The rough is certainly rough, I am normally only mowing roughs around 1 time a week at this time of the season. This year I have not stopped mowing other then rain days.  The equipment is getting a lot of extra wear and use this year.  We have been going through on average 150 gallons of diesel a week just to keep up.  Every day we loose to weather really backs everything up.  This week were were able to get around 2 times but it is still hard to tell.  July is usually a time of the year that we can start to work on a small project but this year is looking like we will need another week to just catch up with the mowing work before we can start anything.  Just need more time in a day to get everything done that we want too.  On a good note the greens are in really nice shape.  The rains that we have had set me back a little on the topdressing application but we did manage to topdressed and needle tine all the greens this week.  We will plan on topdressing the greens as well as the approaches on Tuesday this upcoming week.  I would like weather permitting to topdress the greens lightly weekly for the entire month of July.  The warm humid weather is good for the turf but leads to the development of dollar spot disease. I have seen more dollar spot this year then in the past.

Hopefully weather will be on our side the next few weeks so we can actually do a few extras on the golf course.  It has been extremely hard having most of the staff repairing bunkers almost daily over the last few weeks

I hope that you enjoy the golf course this weekend and have a safe and happy 4th of july

Monday, June 23, 2014

Ball marks

An alarming fact about pitch marks that will make you want to repair all of them right now http://www.golfdigest.com/blogs/the-loop/2014/06/an-alarming-fact-about-pitch-m.html

Thursday, June 19, 2014

golf Course Update 6/19/14

2.4 inches of rain and a confirmed tornado just 1 mile away 2 days ago in Verona.  there is considerable damage to many homes and the middle school We did not sustain much damage just bunkers washed out for the third time this year and a few trees down but nothing even close to what could have happen.  My thoughts and payers go out to everyone that has damage from the storms.  We have been working very hard to get the course back in good shape, all the bunkers will be back together by tomorrow morning and the general cleanup will be done today.  We have not been able to mow all the rough this week and there are a few holes that are very lush and thick.  I will be sending all the mowers out first thing in the morning to hopefully get most areas mowed.  We will not be able to do any extra rolling of the greens until we get caught up with the rest of the work.  The course will be playing very soft for a few days.  We are trying to gear up in our planning for the Mens invitational next week.  I do plan on working a few split shifts having the staff come in late in the afternoon to do some extra mowing and rolling before the event.  Right now we do not have a big turnout I hope that you can get a partner and enjoy this great event.  The prize package alone is worth playing in the event and the chance to show your guest a great time on a fine golf course is what   My planning has been a little sidetracked with the bad weather this week but we will have the course in fine shape by the end of next week if the extended forecast hold true.

We have manage to make some very good progress on adding sand to the green side bunkers at this time the front none has been completed and will work on the back nine soon.

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Us open setup notes.


Total Pageviews

GCSAA current issue

Golf Course Industry

Golfdom Current Issue